I’ve found myself doing a whole lot of reminiscing over old travels and yearning to plan trips once this is global isolation is over. One of my favourite places to visit in the world is Thailand. I love everything Thai! The delicious food, the friendly people and the beautiful sites to be seen.
In 2018, we spent a whole month zooming around South East Asia on a motorbike and eating our way through every traditional Thai dish just to see if what we got back home is the real deal. I can confirm that what we get here in New Zealand is pretty spot on. We managed to spend an entire month stuffing ourselves full of Massaman Curry, Tom Kha Gai, Panang Curry, and of course, every white girl’s favourite Pad Thai.
Thai food is definitely my go-to when its time for a takeaway, and of course, with the strict isolation rules in New Zealand currently this means I have to cook my own. I’ve pretty much got this recipe in the bank for life! It is such an easy pantry take on the traditional and tastes just as delicious.
For this recipe, I also add Tofu Scrambled eggs (one of my favourite brunch recipes) which I have included below too.
Vegan Pantry Pad Thai
- 200g Dry Noodles
- 100g Firm Tofu (cut into strips)
- 1 Carrot Grated
- 1 Bok Choi, Chopped
- 1 Shallot, Chopped
- Handful of Bean Sprouts (plus extra to serve)
- 2 Spring Onions (saving the green parts for serving)
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Roast Peanuts, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Tamarind Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar
(For the tofu scramble):
- 200g Tofu
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper and Tumeric to taste.
- Mix all ingredients for the tofu scramble in a bowl using a fork to break up the tofu. The fry mix in a pan until golden and set aside.
- Make the pad thai sauce by mixing soy sauce, tamarind paste, coconut aminos, coconut sugar and 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook noodles as per packet, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large pan, add shallots, tofu strips and bok Choi and fry lightly.
- Add noodles, carrot, beansprouts, white parts of the spring onions, tofu scramble mix and sauce then stir to combine. Fry for 2-3 minutes until cooked and well combined.
- Transfer into bowls and top with chopped peanuts, green spring onions, and beansprouts. You may also like to top with chilli flakes and a squeeze of lime too.
If you can’t access all the veggies, I literally love to throw in whatever I’ve got and make a stir fry inspired version. Capsicums, courgettes and corn make delicious additions!