I’m not going to start shouting from the rooftops that this is the best cookie recipe EVER! Because frankly it’s not, and I’m not here to sell you false beliefs. We all know Mrs. Higgins Cookies are the best in the world and if you’re not from New Zealand and have no idea what I’m talking about, I feel for you. They are amazing! And the scent of cookie wafting down the street in a morning is something I can only dream about now.
However, in desperate times come desperate measures. Due to the worlds flour shortage of 2020 I have seen people making recipes from literally ANYTHING. So I thought I would share this chickpea cookie recipe which I’ve been making since before the shortage, a) because it doesn’t contain flour, b) I’ve convinced myself that the chickpeas make it healthy and c) a cookie is a cookie AM I RIGHT?!
I actually used to make this recipe in my Nutribullet, possibly the reason for its untimely death, but it is a ridiculously easy recipe, you basically just throw everything into a blender and bake. It’s a staple pantry foods recipe so pretty perfect for our newly formed isolated lives plus no one will judge you for eating the whole batch, because chickpeas are healthy, right?
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
- 400g Tin Chickpeas
- 1/2 Cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Almond Meal
- 1 Tbsp Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 70g Dairy Free Chocolate chips (Or Crushed Dark Chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line baking tray.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, pat dry and blend in a food processor.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla, brown sugar, baking powder, almond meal and coconut oil and blitz until combined. (It should become a dough like texture).
- Stir through chocolate chips
- Wet hands (super important!) and roll into tablespoon size into balls, flatten slightly using the back of a fork.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.