A little project I set myself while I’ve had a lot of time at home, was to come up with a selection of easy-go to plant-based meals for busy weeknights. My work hours are usually pretty set, the typical Monday to Friday 8-4:30 grind. However, I will often work late dependant on my workload and I do generally enjoy to go to the gym straight from work. This means I was in definite need of ease for some evenings.
My usual go-to is a solid Pad Thai. It’s such an easy one to throw together with whatever veggies we have in the fridge, plus we generally have everything for the sauce in the pantry. Let me tell you, I have found my new favourite meal!
Peanut Buddha bowl! As we have been living out of the pantry, I basically threw together what we had and it turned out so delicious. The peanut butter I used I had previously gotten at Matakana Market and I do think having a particularly good nut butter made this dish extra good.
Vegan Peanut Butter Buddha Bowl
- 1 Medium Kumara (Sweet Potato)
- 1 Red Onion
- Coconut Oil for frying
- 250g Firm Tofu
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 3 Tbsps Peanut Butter (I used Crunchy from Matakana Nut Butters)
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Vegetable Oil
- Avocado, chopped into cubes
- Cucumber, sliced
- Toasted Peanuts
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Peel kumara and chop into 2cm cubes, place in a bowl and cover with water. Microwave for around 6 minutes until softening. Drain water and set aside.
- Chop the red onion into 2cm cubes and heat oil in a large pan. Add red onion and kumara and fry until browning and soft, set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop tofu into 2cm cubes place in a bowl and cover with coconut aminos, set aside to marinate.
- In a small bowl mix peanut butter, sesame oil, Soy Sauce and vegetable oil and set aside.
- Heat Coconut oil in a pan and fry tofu until golden and crispy. Add half the peanut butter sauce and simmer for 1 minute until warmed.
- Now its time to build your bowl! I used spinach, rice, cucumber, avocado, peanuts and sesame seeds then topped with the remaining peanut sauce.