Recently, all I’ve wanted to do is eat warmed oats and soup. As soon as I get the tiniest of winter chill I’m headed straight for the comfort of a warming bowl of deliciousness. After my morning gym sessions too, I’m always stoked to get home and make a huge bowl of baked oats. I find they completely satisfy my appetite for the rest of the day and I can go about the day without getting distracted by hunger.
I have been experimenting recently with so many different flavours of oat bowls. If you saw one of my posts last weekend, I made the most delicious banana bread oats which went down a treat. We absolutely loved it and have made it a few times since. I decided to get experimental with this one and tried to recreate my apple and cinnamon breakfast muffins as a bowl of piping hot baked oats and found this to be super successful. I used the same crumble top I made for the muffins but just quartered the ingredients for 1 serve of oats.
Like my smoothie bowls, I like to add in certain ingredients that have amazing health benefits. I ALWAYS add a tablespoon of flaxseed for the extra fibre and omega-3 plus some people claim it helps with weight-loss too but I couldn’t find any definitive studies. I love to add chia seeds as well, I like the added crunch plus the antioxidant factor is an amazing added benefit. So here it is, one of my favourite baked oat recipes to date!
Apple Crumble Baked Oats
- 1/4 serve of crumble topping from my apple muffins recipe
- 40g Oats
- 1 Apple, chopped (I prefer to use granny smith)
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 200ml Plant Based Milk (My fave is Vanilla Soy)
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Flaxseed
- 1 Tsp Chia Seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix crumble top from my apple and cinnamon muffins recipe in a bowl and set aside.
- In a blender, combine apple, oats, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, flaxseed and plant-based milk.
- Pour mixture into an ovenproof bowl or dish and stir in the chia seeds.
- Sprinkle with the crumble mix and bake for around 15 minutes until risen and browning.