A really fun fact about me is that I am an expat! I was born and raised in the UK, got my degree and packed my bags to see the world. I can’t say that it was never my intention to stay this long, but the way things have worked out I’m glad it did. If you’re wondering I met a really cute guy. Classic story am I right? Well, almost 5 years later and here we are still grinding out life in New Zealand.
The point of that story was to say that I am human, I miss my family and I call my mum pretty much every single day. Which brings us to one of our conversations this week about food. My mum had cancer in her tonsils last year meaning her diet changed significantly, she has the all clear now but it still affects her eating habits. We were discussing chocolate bars mainly things of the gooey nature, like snickers which was the ultimate inspiration for this recipe as for the rest of the day I couldn’t stop thinking about snickers.
That led me to thinking how I could make a snickers vegan without using refined sugar, in which this creation was born! So I will let you in on a little secret. I was totally naive with the first batch and just thought that the dates had already been pitted, which I quickly found out I was wrong. Word of advice: Check your dates have been pitted.
Raw Vegan Snickers Slice
- 190g Raw Unsalted Cashews
- 1 Scoop Plant-Based Vanilla Protein
- 65g Desiccated Coconut
- 4 Tbsp Rice Malt Syrup
- 20 Medjool Dates
- 40g Peanut Butter
- 3 Tbsp Vanilla Soy Milk
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 150g Whittakers Dark Cacao
- 40g Crushed Peanuts
- Line a 20cm x 20cm Baking pan with Parchment paper.
- In a blender, mix cashews until broken up. Add protein powder, coconut, 3 Tbsp Rice Malt Syrup and half the dates and mix until well combined.
- Press mixture evenly into the pan and pop into the freezer for about half an hour.
- Make the caramel by mixing peanut butter, the remaining dates, vanilla soy milk and 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a blender until well combined and of a caramel consistency.
- Spread on top of the cashew layer and freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate with 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a microwave stirring every 30 seconds. Pour on top of the caramel, sprinkle over crushed peanuts and freeze until solid.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.