Something we don’t eat often is pasta. Generally we opt for more rice based dishes as we tend to meal prep the rice making it easier throughout our working week to whip up meals fast. With my partner originating from South East Asia, 9 times out of 10 we always choose Asian food, we both love the continent and the food meaning that when home cooking and eating out we generally sway for rice based dishes.
Pasta-based meals remind me of home so much as my mum often used to make a huge variety of them. Being from Europe myself, I guess my diet growing up was mainly pasta or potato based and I only recall having rice with the occasional takeout so this has been a huge shift for me. However, I still adore pasta when we do have it! There is a hilarious story in my family of one time when I was around 13 my mum made a pasta bake and forgot to cook the pasta inside. Long story short crunchy pasta is not the one. To this day my mum always wonders why I love to cook so much when she despises it.
Cheese was always a biggie for me too. I was one of those people that put it on everything, literally everything. When I found out that dairy was what was causing my bad gut problems I wondered how I would live without it, until I discovered cashew cheese. Even if you are the biggest cheese lover, do not knock it ’til you’ve tried it! I wanted to make this dish as cheesy as possible with the help of my old friend nutritional yeast. It is a great source of vitamin B6, helps improve digestion and promotes healthy skin, hair and nails for just a tiny amount. It also is delicious and has a cheesy taste to it, making it a perfect addition to cheesy pasta sauces.
Creamy Cheesy Carbonara
- 100g Gluten Free Spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 4 Rashers Vegan Bacon, chopped in thin strips
- 100g Hard Tofu, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 250ml Soya Cream
- 3 Tbsp Soy Milk
- 100g Grated Vegan Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook spaghetti in a pan of boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a large frying pan. Add bacon and tofu and fry until browning.
- Add the second tbsp of butter, shallot and garlic cloves and fry for around 2 minutes until fragrant and browning.
- Lower the heat and add cream, milk, half the cheese, tumeric and oregano and simmer.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and stir through seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkling of the remaining cheese and enjoy with homemade garlic bread.