It’s been a while since I posted something savoury! Whenever we go into lockdown I always find myself spending my time baking sweet treats rather than cooking any interesting meals. However, for the past week I have been trying to cut down on my sugar and go into more of a cut.
For me, spring months mean I focus more on my macros and I cut down on sugary snacks and start to eat a lot more fresh foods. As the weather gets hotter, I find myself craving fresh salads, fruit bowls and smoothies meaning I tend not to do a lot of baking. And I feel like I am so ready for that transition.
During this short lockdown, I’ve been spending some time to come up with fun new recipes I can use while I ‘detox’ and that really satisfy my summery cravings. I’ve found myself going for huge salad bowls with some really fun flavours. Often I get asked about what I eat as a vegan and find a lot of people ask if I only eat salads. The answer is of course no, but I do absolutely love them.
To make my salads exciting, I love to make a lot of vinaigrette’s. Basically I like to mix juice from citrus fruits with oils or apple cider vinegar to make my salads more flavourful. To add and Asian inspired twist, I like to use Tamari, which, if you’ve never heard of, is similar to soy sauce but usually gluten free.
Lemon and Tamari Vinaigrette
I love to make my vinaigrettes in big batches. They easily store in the fridge in glass jars and last around a week, meaning I get a whole week of lunches from them. A lot of citrus fruit gets brought into work so I try and find as many uses from them as possible.
When making a vinaigrette, make sure to combine all the ingredients except the oil first, then add the oil last whisking vigorously. This was the oil won’t settle at the top and your vinaigrette will be well mixed.
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tsp Rice Malt Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, salt, rice malt syrup and tamari and stir until well combined.
- Gradually add the oil continuously whisking until all combined and the oil doesn’t separate (usually around 30 seconds).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
When making my salads I love to start with a huge bowl and add all of my ingredients to this. It means when adding a vinaigrette it makes it easier to toss the whole thing together to make sure everything is coated.
Tofu and Asian Slaw Salad
- 150g Tofu, Cubed
- 1 Medium Carrot, Grated
- 5 Cos Lettuce Leaves, Thickly Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Raw Almonds, Roughly Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Lemon and Tamari Vinaigrette
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Sesame Seeds for Topping
- In a wok, heat oil and add tofu frying until golden. I like to add a little garlic to my tofu and a splash of tamari for taste. I also make this in a big batch on the weekends for ready to go lunches.
- In a large mixing bowl, add lettuce, grated carrot, chopped almonds and tofu.
- Add vinaigrette, salt and pepper and mix until everything is fully coated.
- Serve with sesame seed topping. Enjoy!